A chainsaw may be the best tool for felling trees or collecting timber. However, when it comes to more precision works, such as trimming hedges or branches, a pole saw is the perfect tool. The name itself is rather self-explanatory, pole saws are saw attached to the end of a pole and are used for cutting and trimming foliage. While they are not suited for chopping down trees, it offers a pleasing appearance to topiaries and controls overgrowths. To purchase the best pole saw that is suited for your requirements, it is important to gain some knowledge on the tool so that you can make a well-informed purchase. This post will help you in deciding the best pole saw that is perfect for all your needs. We have carried out an extensive research on the range of pole saws available in the market. We are offering a holistic guide for purchasing an ideal pole saw.
Benefits of Purchasing a Pole Saw
Quite naturally, when you are considering to invest in a pole saw, you may wonder whether it is worth the investment. The requirement for a pole saw varies from person to person depending on the individual’s needs. However, to help you make up your mind, here are a few benefits of purchasing a pole saw that will highlight its importance:
Extended Reach Offered While Cutting and Pruning: Pole saws are extremely handy as they enable users to access high branches and other difficult to reach spaces. Certain models can reach up to 15 feet, thereby enabling the users to continue their trimming and pruning tasks with an increased efficiency. Some pole saws are equipped with long bars installed on the chainsaw. These pole saws have the ability of cutting and slicing branches and logs respectively.
Greater Speed and Efficiency: Pole saws come with powered motors to help users do their gardening tasks with ease. Power tools make the task of pruning and cutting extremely convenient and easy. Pole saws can be shortened and extended to help users maximize their reach, thereby contributing towards increased efficiency. Thus, cumulatively, users no longer have to put themselves at risk by climbing trees and branches and commence sawing and cutting the excess outgrowth.
Portability: A majority of pole saw shafts are composed of either aluminium or fiberglass. These materials are lightweight and can be easily moved from one place to another. Users having a huge garden can port pole saws without by trouble. With a single pole saw, gardening enthusiasts no longer have to carry around a set of tools to carry out their chores. Just a single lightweight pole saw is enough to carry out all the work.
Utility Tool: Many pole saw models provide added utility tools. For instance, one pole saw model comes with dual cutting tools in one. The pole can be utilised for printing and trimming branches. And after detaching the like, the users can use it for effectively hacking the fallen tree parts using the chainsaw. Several pole saw model support various other attachments. So the users can transform then into blowers, edgers, trimmers, etc.
Automatic Maintenance: If a chainsaw is used for a long while, then wear and tear may bound to happen. Unless proper oiling and maintenance is done frequently, pole saws do not yield the best results. Users who work with pole saws on a regular basis should get one that comes with an automatic oiler.
There are many factors that determine and define what constitutes the best pole saw for your requirements. Here are a few main features that you must consider while shortlisting your item:
Power Source: There are many sources to power up your tool and each mode has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Gas Powered Pole Saws: Gas powered pole saws are capable of generating a greater amount of power as compared to the electric models. With these models, you do not have to wait until your pole saw is charged, all you need to do is simply fill up the gas and use the saw. These are the best pole saws for professional use.
Electric Pole Saws: Technology is catching up with the gas-powered models and trying to get electric pole saws that are as powerful as its gas counterparts. These are suited for personal use around the house. Compared to gas models, electric pole saws are much more affordable and are also prone to a cleaner usage considering that it does not release any emission. The major drawback for electric pole saws is that one needs to keep it charged to prevent it from dying out in the middle of your chores. Even if it does power down, charging it back to full capacity takes a long while. However, they are more environmentally friendly than the gas-powered pole saw.
Manual Pole Saw: As the name suggests, the manual pole saw is simply a regular saw that is attached to a stick. Amongst all the types of pole saws available, the manual kind is the most affordable. However, they are only meant for small tasks where the trimming or cutting is not extensive. For any other task that is of a greater scale, you might want to skip the manual part and settle for something with more power and juice.
Reach: The purpose of purchasing a pole saw is to reach out to unattainable, difficult heights. It is an indicator of how high your tool is capable of reaching to make the cuts. Since consumers would naturally want a pole saw with a high reach, manufacturers tend to fudge these numbers to offer exaggerated facts. Rather than mentioning the actual length of the pole saw, manufacturers advertise the reach factoring in the average height of a male user. Thus, the actual reach of the pole saw depends on your height and not the saw’s capability, which is rather unfair. For a fairly accurate estimate, check out the maximum level of extension mentioned with every pole saw, which basically outlines the total height of the pole.
Best Pole Saw and Reviews
We have made a list of the best pole saw available in the market. The following are the pole saws that have made it to our list:
1. Greenworks 20672:
The Greenworks 20672 is one of the best electric pole saw available in the market. The lightweight build of the tool, makes it easier to operate and reach higher spots. It is a battery powered unit with a reliable battery backup.
- Powered by a 2A, 40V battery
- Weighs 8.36 pounds
- 8-inch chain and blade
- Maximum extension of 8 feet through a 3-piece aluminium shaft
- Lightweight aluminium build that prevent fatigue during operation
- Powerful motor with electric start
- Comes with an automatic oiler with a transparent oil tank for maintenance of pole saw
- Has easy adjust chain tensioning system
- Has a low reach compared to the other models of the same price range
- There is a dip in performance while cutting through thicker branches
- Battery tends to die prematurely
2. Black + Decker LPP120B:
Black + Decker is known to manufacture quality electronic items and garden tools at affordable rates. Thus, the LPP120B can meet all your requirements for any trimming, cutting, and pruning tasks. Using this tool, you can easily slice through branches that are 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
- Powered by a 20V battery
- Weighs 6.3 pounds
- 8-inch cutting bar and chain
- Pole extension up to 10 feet
- This cordless model is highly portable and powered by a reliable Lithium-ion battery
- Powerful cutting power
- Decent battery life with provision to swap out batteries, allowing users to keep a spare battery at hand
- Maximum reach extends up to 14 feet, which makes this tool ideal for cutting and pruning tall trees
- It has a lightweight build, which prevents fatigue
- Oiling of bar and chain has to be carried out manually
- Battery may take an enormous amount of time to charge
3. Sun Joe SWJ800E:
Sun Joe is a well-known brand for manufacturing equipment such as heaters and blowers. The Sun Joe SWJ800E is a starting level pole saw amongst the six models available in the series. It comes with a reliable Oregon blade and chain, which is known for its durability and high quality.
- Electric model powered by a 6.5 Amp motor
- Weighs 7 pounds
- Telescopic pole extends up to 8.7 to 15 feet
- Bar length of 8 inches
- Motor operates at 6000 rpm, which easily slices through branches
- Automatic chain and blade oiler that keeps the chain lubricated
- Comes with a soft grip handle that offers comfort and stability
- Equipped with in-built safety switches
- The telescopic section may appear flimy and could be a security concern for some
- The unit may smoke due to burning oil
- The chain may occasionally snag and come off
4. WORX WG309 Electric Pole Saw:
The Worx WG309 is the perfect tool for those looking for small to medium level gardening chores involving cutting and pruning. It is an electric corded model that may be easily disassembled to be used as a chainsaw to slice through branches and logs measuring 7 inches in girth.
- Powered by an 8 amp motor
- Equipped with a 10-in bar
- The Oil Tank has a 120mL capacity with an accessible oil indicator
- Telescopic pole that can be extended to 8 feet
- Weighs 10 pounds
- The rotatable handles present in the pole saw allow extreme comfort and control while cutting or pruning foliage.
- Superior quality of the blade and pole offers durability to the model
- Comes with an automatic chain oiler that makes maintenance of the pole saw easy
- The patented auto-tensioning chain system extends the cutting chain life
- Negligible kickback and quiet operation
- The pole can feel heavy, thereby making the task tiresome
- The lack of concrete safety features can be a major concern to many user considering the nature of the tool
- The blade takes a long while to come to a standstill once it has been switched off
5. Poulan Pro 967044201 40V Pole Saw:
Poulan Pro is yet another company that is known to manufacture high performance and high quality power tools for all gardening purposes. The Poulan Pro model is quick to start and easy to operate. The model has a high cutting capacity while offering extreme control and maneuverability while cutting and pruning.
- The motor of the pole saw is powered by a superior 40V lithium ion battery
- The cutting bar measures 8 inches
- The pole may be extended up to 8 feet
- Weigh 11.8 pounds
- Has a suitable ergonomic design that makes the tool comfortable while in operation
- The powerful motor can cut through thick branches without making much noise
- The automatic oiler lubricates the cutting bar and chain
- Equipped with front chain tensioning mechanism that allows the chain to be easily tightened and adjusted
- Due to the heavy nature of the tool, it causes fatigue to the users
- The pole saw is not suited for heavy-duty pruning and cutting tasks
6. Remington RM2599:
Remington’s Maverick range of pole saws are aimed to tackle multiple gardening activities. This fuel efficient model is powerful and has an impressive cutting performance. The tool is loaded with features, which make it a value for money tool.
- Powered by a 25cc two cycle gas engine, which is equipped with QuickStart Technology
- Weighs 17.5 pounds
- Removable 8-inch cutting head
- Contains a 7-foot high pole that may be extended to 12 feet
- Quick and easy to start
- Unit comes equipped with an automatic oiler
- Powerful cutting capacity
- Perfect for small and medium pruning or cutting tasks
- The performance of the pole saw fails when it comes to heavy duty cutting
- The heavy build of the tool may cause fatigue to the user
- The pole saw operates loudly
- Instances of the engine choking have been reported
7. Remington RM1025SPS Ranger 10 inch:
Remington is a well-known brand for personal grooming and hygiene. However, Remington is also making its presence felt in the field of cutting trees and chopping wood. The RM1025SPS is a 2-in-1 tool wherein the chainsaw can be detached from the pole.
- Heavy aluminium build
- 2-in-1 operation allows the pole saw to be used as a regular chainsaw
- Operates on 8-amp motor
- Weighs 12.4 pounds
- 10-inch chain and blade
- Makes use of flip lock mechanism to hold the chainsaw on the pole
- Contains a non-slip grip that offers greater stability
- Chainsaw can be detached from the pole without using any tools
- Chainsaw contains a separate hand grip for individual use
- Robust 10-foot long pole
- High power motor that can cut through a variety of wood and trees
- Users have reported trigger issues where it gets jammed in on position
- Instances of oil leakages have been reported when pole saw is not in use
8. HUSQVARNA Outdoor Power Equipment PA1100 Pole Saw Atta:
Husqvarna bears a formidable reputation when it comes to manufacturing home and gardening power tools. It is the perfect tool for large estates having a large acreage covered by trees. It can take on large tasks and carry out heavy duty work.
- 5 feet long detachable pole
- 10-inch cutting bar
- Weighs less than 11 pounds
- Suitable for large properties and for a variety of gardening tasks such as trimming tall trees and clearing dense bushes
- The impressive motor-blade combination can slice even through hardwood
- Operates quietly and is easy to start while offering absolute control
- The engine of the pole saw takes a long while to warm up before operation
- The tool may appear heavy after long durations
- The tool may wear out after long hours of operation
9. GreenWorks 20302 Corded Pole Saw:
If you are looking for a tool that can aid you in cutting or pruning slim branches, then GreenWorks 20192 is just the perfect model for you. The easy usage and assembly makes it an ideal tool for beginners.
- Powered by a 6.5 Amp electric motor
- Oregon bar and chain measuring 8 inches
- 3-piece aluminium shaft can be extended up to 8 feet
- Weighs 10.47 pounds
- Quick starting and easy operation makes it a value for money tool
- Comes with a straight shaft to enable efficient trimming.
- Automated oiler for ease in maintenance.
- Easily adjustable chain tensioning system to tighten the chain in a snap.
- Extendable lightweight yet sturdy shaft for maximizing the reach.
- Bulky and comparatively heavy powerhead.
- Difficult to monitor the oil level in bright light.
- Battery and Charger not Included.
10. Silky 179-93 Telescopic:
In the range of manual pole saws, the Silky 179-93 Telescopic is a strong contender. While it may be quite an expensive purchase for a manual pole saw, it makes up for it with a decent blade and an extremely high reach.
- Manual pole saw
- Telescopic pole extension through 2 sections reaching 11 feet
- Maximum working reach of 16 feet
- Weighs 3.4 pounds with blade cover
- 13-inch blade with 6.4 teeth per inch and 1.5mm blade thickness
- Extremely high reach
- May be easily used for pruning, cutting, and trimming for lawns and gardens
- Light weight build of the tool allows it to be used for long durations without exhaustion
- Telescopic build makes it easy to store and transport
- Effective and durable blade
- Quite expensive considering it is a manual model
- Has limitations on the tasks that it can carry out
Safety Tips While Using Pole Saws
The main purpose of investing in a pole saw is to eliminate the need and the risk of climbing onto ladders with a heavy chainsaw – which is a horrifying scenario. However, it does not indicate that the pole saw is entirely safe. There are a few safety tips one needs to follow while making use of pole saws, some essential safety equipment are as follows:
Eye gear:Protecting the eyes while using pole saws is of utmost importance. Invest in effective eye protection such as safety glasses or goggles since while using the pole saw, there is a lot of sawdust in the it that can possibly enter the eyes.
Head gear: Accidents may happen while using pole saws. Logs may topple down and hit the user. As a protective measures, users should wear a robust mesh helmet.
Gloves: For maintaining a proper grasp while working with the pole saw, it is beneficial to use gloves.
Mask: User with allergies and asthma issues should wear marks to prevent sawdust inhalation.
Considering that there are many features that decide what can be thought of as the best pole saw, the decision of choosing the model depends from person to person. Depending on your requirements, frequency of carrying out gardening tasks, and acreage of the garden, you could choose a model that suits your budget and expectations. Purchasing the best pole saw is primarily a personal preference to be exercised at discretion.
While all the models that we have listed are the best amongst the best, if you are looking for the best pole saw in the gas-powered model, then the Husqvarna 128LDX 28cc 10 inch Detachable Pole Saw is a beast of a machine. In the electric pole saw category, the Greenworks 20672 is beyond perfect for all tasks. Ultimately, it is up to the user to decide which item hits the perfect balance between performance and efficiency.
We hope that our guide has been helpful in aiding you make the decision for your future pole saw.