Best Biscuit Joiners Reviews: As a craftsman or a DIY enthusiast, you might have had a tough time with cutting and joining thick pieces of wood. If your work comprises of a lot of wood joining, then there is no better equipment than a biscuit joiner. Landing on the best biscuit joiner is a humoungous task. With very little knowledge of the equipment, it might be difficult to choose the right equipment. This article is all about the types of best biscuit joiners available and how to choose the right one.
What is a Biscuit Joiner?
A biscuit joiner is an essential and powerful tool that was first developed in 1960 by a Swiss woodworker. The tool is basically used as a wood fencer, specially designed to accomplish all types of carpentry job that helps in joining two wood pieces irrespective of the thickness. The wood joint done with the help of biscuit joiner is very reliable, strong, and long-lasting. The tool is versatile and can be used in making tables, drawers, tools, wooden frames, etc. The best biscuit joiner helps in manufacturing all types of furniture with ease.
A biscuit is a small wooden piece that is used to join two separate parts of wood. A biscuit joiner is a saw tool that runs on electricity and is used to cut wooden slots, biscuits, or mouths on woods. The slots are usually used to conceal the joints when attaching two materials together.
Common Uses of a Biscuit Joiner
Biscuit joiners help in the lining and cutting wooden slots that can be joined with the help of glue and by inserting a wooden biscuit in the slots. As soon as the glue is lined, the two wooden pieces need to be clamped together. The biscuit joiner helps in clamping the wooden pieces and makes them strong. Many times using screw and nails become a strenuous job; biscuit joiners helps in conjoining the two wooden parts by cutting a slot and inserting the wood.
Some of the most common uses of biscuit joiner are:
Working with beach wood: Biscuits are created using Beach wood that offers durability and strength required to handle the wood craftsmanship.
Creating table tops: A biscuit joiner is helpful in attaching the boards on the sides to create tabletops.
Working at the corners: When you need to combine two pieces of woods at the corners, biscuits help in keeping them intact. When manufacturing drawers, tables or cabinets, biscuit joiners help in maintaining the stability and adds more power to the corners.
Some of the other main joints that the biscuit joiner can be used for are:
- Miter corner joints
- Butt joints
- Widening joints
- Frame Joints
Whether you are starting a DIY wooden project like fitting a tabletop or cabinet or want to start a full scale workshop, biscuit joiners are quite an vital tool.
Why Should You Use Biscuit Joiner?
Many times, your DIY wooden project or a professional project may require screw and nails but you may find it monotonous or ineffective. At such times, you can cut a piece of wood known as a biscuit. You can, then, cut two wooden slots and place a biscuit in the slots and join those using biscuit joiners. The use of a biscuit joiner makes the joint more durable and strong in comparison to a normal screw or nail job.
The biscuit joiners cut slots in two pieces of wood and allow you to insert the biscuit and join them with glue. The biscuit joiner provides a strong joint by clamping the two pieces of wood. However, you must ensure that you choose a quality biscuit joiner if you want high quality and good output. It is important to review the numerous biscuit joiners available in the market before settling on one.
Features That You Should Look for Before Buying a Biscuit Joiner
There are various types and sizes of biscuit joiners available in the market. However, you must choose the biscuit joiner by following the biscuit joiner reviews and its features. The best way to choose a biscuit joiner is by going for a trial and find how the product fares in the following aspects:
Handle: The handle plays a vital role in the selection of a biscuit joiner. If you are unable to hold the equipment right, you cannot be productive enough! Hence it is important that you try out the tool by holding it and checking the grip. The most common biscuit joiners have two or more types of handles. Some of them have a barrel grip which allows you to hold the body of the joiner. Other types of biscuit joiners have D-handle which is preferred by most of the users.
Fence Features: A biscuit joiner must allow you to adjust the fence setting at 45 or 135 degrees. The fence feature allows you to adjust the angle of the joiner so that you can easily work both on the inside and outside of the wooden frame. This feature increases the assembly options. The fence is one of the most important parts of the joiner that guides the saw blade while cutting the slots in the wood. A joiner with multiple settings of various angles is the best choice.
Depth setting: You must choose a biscuit joiner that has various groove depth settings. This allows you to cut slots from wood at any depth. The more is the flexibility the better is your work quality.
Cost: biscuit joiners are available in a wide range of prices. If you are a DIY enthusiast, then you may not want to spend too much on the best biscuit joiner. The higher the prices, the better are the options and features of the joiner. So, for a professional grade joiner you may to spend more than a simple joiner. However, if you are on a budget, choose a joiner only the one that has regular features and normal power setup.
Power: A high power biscuit joiner comes at 5-6 AMP and 10,000 RPM. If you are a professional woodworker and require perfection in your work, you might want to go for higher AMP or RPM. The more is the RPM, the faster you can cut biscuit grooves and do commendable work. However, if it is for DIY, you might not want to invest for a high power joiner.
Ease of use: Without a doubt, the easier are the functions, the better is the biscuit joiner. If the usability is by far complex, then you will not get the desired perfection and evenness in your woodwork. Biscuit joiners with ergonomic design help in working for a longer time without getting tired. Moreover, the machine must be lightweight with rubberized grips to lessen the fatigue.
Dust accumulation system: Cutting woods means lots of dust accumulation and flying chips. The biscuit joiner you choose must have a feature for dust accumulation. The tool must have this safety feature and optimal durability.
Warranty: A standard biscuit joiner can cost you $100 and more. When you are investing so much money on a tool, it is essential that there must be some warranty. All the biscuit joiners listed below in this article are equipped with at least one year warranty.
Durability: The biscuit joiner is an incredible woodworking tool that must work in the harshest of the environment. Hence, it is necessary that the tool has adequate durability and does not break down easily over the time. A biscuit joiner comes in contact with dust, oil, dirt, and too many foreign elements. The tool must be durable and maintain its quality of even biscuit slots.
Blade: It is important to know the basic blade size before buying a biscuit joiner. The standard size of the blade is 4”. However, it’s not the only size of the blade. If you are working as a DIY enthusiast on small pieces of wood, you might require smaller blades. There are three basic sizes of blades available in the market.
Small size (0) – this is the smallest type of blade which is suitable for slotting small pieces of wood.
Medium (10) – this blade is usually ¾“ tall and can be used both by DIY and professional woodcutters.
Large (20) – this is the biggest size of the blade which is almost 1” tall. This type of blade is used to cut thick wood and carry out strenuous cutting.
Best Biscuit Joiners For You
1. Dewalt Ampe Plate Joiners:
With a powerful motor and high-class features, the Dewalt DW682K 6.5 Ampe Plate joiner is surely one of the best biscuit joiner in the market. The plate joiner is equipped with a pinion fence and dual rack that gives you perfect joint every time. If you are looking for an in-class high-quality plate joiner, then there is nothing better than the Dewalt Joiners. The product is durable, easy to use, and provides all the incredible features that you desire for in a good plate joiner. Manufactured in China, most of the parts of this joiner are made of metal except the grip which is made of rubber. The dual rack feature allows the woodworker to cut through thickest of the woods and give fine and even slots. The product comes with an easy to go work kit that comprises of easy to adjust fence, no marring shoe, and preset stop for multiple biscuit sizes. Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or a professional cutter, you will get a stable and standardized cut with this plate joiner.
- Dual rack and pinion fence
- 5 amp with 10,000RPM
- 45-degree indexing fence
- Comprises of a kit with heavy duty, non-marring aluminum shoes
- Anti-slip pins to hold the wood intact when cutting
- Flush cuts that are made with 0 degrees without worrying about the fence.
- Integrated and adjustable fence for accuracy
- Blade thickness is ¼”
- Quite reasonable pricing in comparison to other plate joiners
- Equipped with a working kit
- Extremely durable
- Easy to use
- Three years limited warranty
- Gives precise cuts
- The alignment is very poor
- Poor performing
- Lacks quality in spares. They get easily damaged
- Not suitable for a DIY enthusiast
- Complex features
2. Makita Plate Joiner:
The ergonomic and slim design of the Makita Plate joiner promises added comfort for the professional woodworkers. This Makita plate joiner has incredible features that are quite useful for professionals. The product is equipped with a high power motor and over the top RPM which gives you a precise cut in the wood. The Makita Plate joiner is huge with easy to operate mechanism. The unit has a huge handle that provides perfect grip to carry out tough wood slotting job. According to most biscuit joiner reviews, majority of the users have been happily using this product because of its impeccable features and accessories. The Makita Plate joiner has non-marring rubber inserts on a shoe that prevents the machine from moving. The equipment is made up of cast iron that ensures longer durability. The Makita Plate Joiner is undoubtedly a sturdy and power packed tool that gives you perfect slot biscuits every time. It is ideal for all types of joints and you may carry out any type of slotting and joining of biscuits.
- 5.6 Amp power with 11000 RPM
- Vertical fence system
- Three positive stops at 0, 45, 90 degrees.
- Easy to operate cam locks
- Six depth settings with single touch stop for 0, 10, and 20 blade sizes.
- The kit consists of Angle guide, wrench, set plate, dust bag, and tool case.
- Cast aluminum body
- Large top handle with rubber grip
- Easy to operate fence adjustment
- Slim body
- Rack and pinion fence
- Tool-less blade cover for safety features
- Highly durable
- Easy to use features
- Ergonomic design and easy to handle grips
- Equipped with multifunctional features for professional use
- The joiner is able to give precise cut at any angle
- Less noisy
- The height adjuster is not precise.
- The product is too heavy to move from one place to another
- The exhaust port gets clogged when working on heavy projects
- The voltage cannot be changed as per requirement
See Also: Best Benchtop Sander Reviews
3. Gino Development Biscuit Plate Joiner:
The Gino Development Biscuit plate joiner is undoubtedly one of the best biscuit joiner if you are looking to complete a DIY project. The joiner is highly efficient in carrying out smaller projects. Equipped with all the necessary features, the product does not promise a heavy duty job profile, however, as a DIY enthusiast, you can use this product with ease. With simple and easy to operate functions, Gino Development Biscuit plate joiner is one of its kind. The structure is sleek and durable which makes it a long-term companion. The product has standard features with all the necessary accessories. It is a one go biscuit plate joiner which you can carry anywhere for small slot cuttings. With super strong Miter joints, the joiner gives you an end to end cut without making much noise.
- Runs at 1010 watts with 11000 RPM
- Produces 120V
- Weighs approx. 8 pounds which makes it easy to carry
- Gives a maximum cutting of 0.55”
- Cuts at an angle of 45 degrees
- Includes a carbide tipped blade of 4” that is irreplaceable
- Highly reasonable
- Less noisy
- Dust accumulator bag
- Comes with one year warranty
- Carbide tipped blade with 4” gives you a fine cutting
- High power cutting process saves time
- Fine cutting in less time
- Clogs the machine after 5 or 6 cuts only
- The blade is irreplaceable
- Equipped with a low quality plastic handle that may break easily
- Lack of advanced options
- Problems with accuracy
4. Festool Domino Joiner 500Q set:
One of the most expensive biscuit joiners in the market, the Festool provides unparalleled features and options to the user. The joiner is a workhorse and is specially manufactured for heavy duty woodwork. If you are a DIY enthusiast, then this product is not your cup of tea. You might have to look for a product that is cheap and has the lesser options. Coming back to the Festool Domino joiner, it has a high working capacity with incredible RPM and power. The product is equipped with high-grade carbide blades that are suitable for cutting all types of wood, irrespective of quality and thickness. If you are looking for a joiner that can work the whole day without facing problems of overheating, then this product must be your best buy.
The Festool Domino Joiner has multiple stop buttons for your accessibility. You can cut as many different groove sizes as you want. The machine allows you with pattern cutting of grooves. The dust accumulation feature gives you a clean cut every time without leaving a mess. The Festool Domino Joiner is a unique product with top class accessories and features.
- Unique and patented style of cutting the grooves
- Mortise width adjustment for better alignment while cutting
- The fence angle ranges from 0 to 90 degrees
- Positive stops ranging from 22.5, 45, and 67.5 degrees
- Equipped with indexing pins for quick alignment
- Dust extractable design
- Precise depth control
- Versatile for all types of projects
- Precise cut with accuracy
- Heavy duty performance
- Consistent with the mortise cut
- Versatile pivoting fence
- Allows you faster work with easy repetitions
- Portable and can be easily stored
- Dust extraction
- Three times expensive than normal biscuit joiners available in the market
- The attachments are very cheap and made of plastic
- Difficulties in using multiple functions
- Difficult to make accurate mortise without a proper guidance.
5. VonHauls Wood Biscuit Plate Joiners:
If you are looking for a biscuit joiner that gives you accurate cut and has an ergonomic design, the VonHaus is one the of the most lucrative biscuit joiner in the market today. The Von Haus 8.5 AMP creates a strong biscuit dowel connection that suits every project that you want to carry out. Whether it is a T joint, Miller Joint or any other types, you can get them connected easily with this incredible biscuit joiner. The large top grip provides you additional grip so that you can work for a long period at a stretch without fatigue. For convenience, the Von Haus biscuit joiner provides you with multiple positive stops for custom depth cutting. The product is equipped with a dust accumulation technology that creates minimum dust while sawing. No longer will you have dirtier table tops while cutting slots for your furniture. The product is adjustable to tilt fence and gives you an easy working environment at different angles. The biscuit joiner is able to cut all types of wood irrespective of type and thickness.
- 4” blade diameter
- Dust collection technology
- Ergonomic design that makes it easy to carry anywhere
- 5 AMP with 10000 RPM
- Butt joints, T joints, and edge to edge corner joints
- The adjustable fence that allows the unit to be set at any alignment
- Preset depth at 0, 10 and 20 biscuit sizes
- Extremely affordable
- Dust collection
- Gives accurate cuts
- Pre-set depth
- Adjustable and precise cut
- Large top grips give complete control
- Compatible to all wood types
- Easy to operate
- Difficult to use for a beginner
- Cheap tool
- Too many features make it confusing to use
6. Makita Lithium-Ion Cordless Plate joiners:
This battery operated Makita Lithium-Ion Cordless Plate joiner is a versatile and incredible tool for DIY and professional woodworkers. It is a large and easy to operate tool that locks the fence adjustment. This cordless plate joiner is portable and is high performing. It is a combination of high power and precision. With easy to use the feature, the biscuit joiner gives you a strong and accurate cut for making furniture like a cabinet, table tops, and other basic ones. The Makita Lithium-Ion cordless plate joiner is one of the best biscuit joiner with fine woodworking settings. The product has an inbuilt monitor that reflects real-time power output and the RPM measure. This saves you from exerting the machine and hence, no overheating. In order to increase the versatility of the unit, the product can be equipped with Makita 18V LXT compact ion batteries as well. The Makita biscuit joiner has a one-touch stop feature that eases the use altogether.
- Pinion vertical fence adjustment
- Cast aluminum pivot fence
- Aligns from 0 to 90 degrees fence
- Six depth settings and one-touch stop for 0, 10 and 20 sizes
- Cordless plate joiners
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Easy to operate
- Easy to use features
- Extremely durable
- Compatible for all types of wood
- Good for household and professional purpose
- Battery operated and cordless
- Protects from overheating
- Cuts all types of biscuit sizes
- The battery is not included with the unit
- Cannot be used for a long period
- No dust accumulation feature
7. Chicago Electric Power tools 4” plate joiner:
The Chicago Electric Power plate joiner is a portable biscuit joiner. According to biscuit joiner reviews, it has all the necessary features that are required by a DIY woodworker or professional. The unit is specially designed and manufactured in China. It is made of metal except for the handle grip which is made of rubber for better grip. The unit works at low voltage and has minimal RPM for low-level tasks. The internal blade comes out as soon as the unit is activated. The blade is fixed and gives you a finished and precise cut. The blade is irreplaceable. The device is equipped with a dust bag that accumulates the dust and gives you a clean work area.
- Internal blade
- Precise cut with 4” blade
- Dust accumulator
- Produce 120 V
- Made in China
- Heavy duty aluminum parts
- 6 AMP
- 10000 RPM
- One year warranty
- Extremely durable
- Good for DIYers
- Not suitable for heavy duty tasks
- Clogs the unit
- Cheap spare parts
Beginners Guide to Using a Biscuit Joiner
A biscuit joiner is a powerful tool that runs on high power. You need to use it properly to get the accurate cut and not end up with uneven joints.
Here are the steps to use it properly:
- The sliding parts must be well lubricated before use.
- Place the two boards simultaneously on the table. Arrange them in a final position.
- Make sure the boards are aligned properly
- Mark the joints with a pencil. The marks must be evenly spaced. The marks specify the placement of biscuits that are placed on the board.
- Use a biscuit joiner and place the plates on the boards. Then line the cuts with a pencil. Carry out this step on each board one by one.
- Now turn on the saw and insert the blade into the board across the line
- Repeat the sawing process on each board
- Once the cut is done, place glue on the boards that are cut.
- Now insert the biscuits into each slot and slide the other board into the biscuit.
- Now, using the clamps, you must hold the joints together. This gives the glue a chance to dry. Tightening the clamp hard will squeeze out the glue and leave the board unassembled.
- The machine is generally equipped with dust accumulator. This is known as extraction.
- Machines that do not have powerful extraction will leave the unit clogged
- Biscuits are available in various shapes and sizes. You must use them according to your board.
- Application of water-based glue is the best suggestion.
- Using biscuits for joint construction saves you from mistakes. You can easily pull them off and join the boards again.
Safety Tips for Using a Biscuit Joiner
Biscuit joiner reviews show that the biscuit joiners are one of the safest woodworking devices. The cutting process is carried on inside the casting of the machine. Hence, there is no chance of injuring your hands. Though the biscuit joiner is not dangerous, you can follow these simple tips to be safe at work:
Always use safety equipment: Always wear eyeglasses and gloves when working with a biscuit joiner. You must remove all types of jewelry before working with this type of equipment and always wear covered dresses.
Secure the wood: Always choose the right type of wood when you are planning a project. Check with the guidelines given by the manufacturer and then choose the wood. Using a joiner that doesn’t work on thick wood will harm the tool itself.
Use with care: When the wood is correctly chosen and the tool is ready, use it with care. Do not put your hands under the blade to measure the thickness or check the evenness. In case the wood is uneven, the blade might move without notice and cause harm.
Use handle: It is impossible to hold the unit by its body. Always use a handle with rubber grip for a steady and long lasting performance.
Position yourself comfortably: You must be comfortable with the type of tool you are using. It must not be too heavy or have multiple functions that you are not fully aware of.
Dry run: A trial run or dry run is always important before working on the main project.
- Beware of moving parts
- Unplug the unit when it is lying idle
Maintaining Your Biscuit joiner
Wood sawing and cutting leave a lot of waste behind. This may leave the biscuit joiner clogged. You may remove the bag and let the dust accumulate on the floor to avoid clogging or you may use the bag but clean it from time to time to avoid clogging.
Make sure that the dust bags are clean when the tool is lying idle. You must check for replacement parts from time to time. You need to lubricate the sliding parts to keep it moving freely. Additionally, make sure that the blades are sharp and replaced whenever necessary.
Now that we have reviewed a number of biscuit joiners available in the market, you can pick the best biscuit joiner for yourself. Never allow unnecessary features overwhelm you and make you buy a tool that is more than necessary. Make sure that you know your usage and what type of furniture you want to make using the biscuit joiners. Check your budget and make sure that you get maximum returns with minimum investment. It is always better to take some time to learn and explore the options available before making a final purchase.